Monday, April 11, 2011

My own little sweat shop

Yep, That's what Philip called it. I set my sewing machine up on the kitchen table and took over the dining room. I've been spending the past few days sewing like a maniac!

It's been a blast!!!

I've completed 2/5 of the quilt top. 

To get an idea of how this is built:
1600 total squares
Square sizes are 2.5" x 2.5'
The squares are sewn together to complete blocks
Blocks are 64 squares total. 8 x 8
The blocks will be sewn together 
Quilt is 5 x 5 blocks 

Here is an example of a block layout before sewn:

Here is the block sewn together (and placed below the above block to show how the blocks fit together.
Here is a kinda closeup of the top row (5 blocks)

Aaaaannnnddddd....Here is an overhead view of the top row (5 blocks).
 

This photo is how I discovered a completely messed up block. The black squares represent "stops" on the subway. But this block has a black stop sitting way off in it's own little spot with no train coming near it. OOPS.

Luckily, I'm a master at using the seam ripper and I managed to take it apart and fix it. :) I've been much more careful about putting my blocks together.



Soooooo a recap

I have completed a total of 11 blocks out of 25. Top two rows of the Tokyo Subway Map Quilt top are complete.


I'm taking suggestions. I am trying to decide about the back. I think I want a red fabric. Who has a better idea on the back?



2 comments:

  1. First of all, I want some bedazzled panties.

    Second, I totally love this quilt. I like the red. And the pink. The brown isn't bad either. I'm sure whatever you pick for the back will be perrrrfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably a good thing I don't have a bedazzler. I would be bedazzling everything!

    I love how the all of the colors just pop out of the white. This is so much fun to make!

    ReplyDelete